Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sacrifice


Women are awesome. Women know it. Men know it. There is clearly no arguing that women are freaking amazing.

Now I get that there is this so called "war on women" but it is actually a load of bull and I am not here to talk about it. We are not oppressed. We do not go unnoticed. We are equal but not the same. Like I said... we are awesome and everybody knows it.

I think it is interesting how much our role in the family has shifted though. My grandmother was a telephone operator until she married my grandfather and after their marriage she became the home maker and raised all 4 of the children. She managed the home, cooked all the meals (which is still amazing to this day btw!) and to my knowledge never "worked" again. She was already working 24/7 at home. It is the job that never ends and maybe one of the most exhausting. But from what I hear it is the most rewarding.

My mom went to college and became a business woman. She continued to work after marrying my dad until I was about 2 years old. She managed to balance a demanding job, raising 4 kids, chauffeuring, keeping up a well kept home and still cooking dinner every night. She even went back to work not as a business woman but for the Church and did not let a single aspect of our near perfect lives falter. She has always kept things together. She does everything and it will never cease to amaze me.

HOW DOES SHE DO IT?

I may never truly know the answer to that but I hope that someday I find it in myself to be just half of that woman she is. I do think that one of the key ingredients that so many incredible women possess is selflessness. To be a good woman (like my mother) you have to be selfless. You have to put the needs of your family above your own. You have to give more than you get without a word to protest it because it brings joy to the heart to see happiness in others. This is not oppression. This is love. This is the love that the Father shows us and it is the love that we see in Mary. 

True love is a sacrifice. No one ever said it would be easy but what would life be like without it. 


 

My two role models lived in different times and one has a perfect child while the other has four imperfect children but they still have a lot in common :)

No comments:

Post a Comment