Friday, October 12, 2012

Reason and Science... and Catholicism

Last night I watched the Vice Presidential debates. Overall, I have to say I was unimpressed. I really wanted to hear the fresh ideas of Paul Ryan but I couldn't quit looking at Joe Biden's veneers... If you watched you know what I'm talking about!

I will say that in addition to being unimpressed I was also disappointed in the response to the question regarding their Catholic faith and how that has shaped their personal views on abortions.

Paul Ryan quite eloquently stated that the Catholic Church informs us in everything we do and that he does not see how a person can separate their public life from their private life and their faith. He spoke on seeing his first born as the size of a bean on the ultrasound and how he believes that life begins at conception. Ryan said that he is Pro-Life not just because of his Catholic faith but also because of "reason and science." I am so thrilled that he said that! First of all, I feel like the moderator was trying to put both of them in a bad place. They were given a choice in front of millions of people to either stand by the Church or risk not getting elected. But besides that, IT IS TRUE! Life begins at conception. You can say it is not truly life because it can't survive outside the mother or whatever... that's fine if that's how you want to personally define life but as far as science goes it is still life. I think that was an excellent way to speak to those Americans that are not Catholic about where he stood personally in regards to abortion. However, he did state that under Romney abortions would be opposed with the exceptions of rape, incest and the health of the mother. It may be a step in the right direction but it is not exactly a satisfying answer for this Catholic!

Joe Biden.... oh, crazy Joe....

His religion defines who he is. He has been a practicing Catholic his whole life. He believes life begins at conception but that is not something he wants to impose on others... Ok, I get that not every one is going to believe in Catholic teaching BUT if we all agree that it is a fundamental fact that life begins at conception then what is the problem??? That has nothing to do with religion. It's science! Joe even said that the Catholic church taught him to care for those that cannot help themselves. Does that not include a child in the womb? If I am not mistaken he has completely contradicted himself. Basically he said that the Catholic Church plays NO role in regards to the abortion issue.

Now I'm not saying one is a better Catholic than the other. I honestly know very little about both Biden and Ryan since I payed little attention to politics until about a year ago. But I think both of them were there trying to win an election. The Catholic Church in the United States is thirsting for someone in Washington D.C. to stand up for us. We need someone to be bold and not lukewarm. We need ALL Catholics in the United States to vote and elect those individuals that will stand by us. There is no excuse for not voting. It is our obligation to chose the lesser of the two evils. We need to be people of action. Because if we don't we are by default allowing the other to win.

So for talking about politics but this just really got me fired up!



No comments:

Post a Comment