Sunday, September 16, 2012

Faith and Works

I am a Catholic, born and bred. Also known as a "Cradle Catholic." I am in love with my Church. Seriously. Unfortunately, just like with any kind of love, I can take it for granted from time to time.

Today, the hubs and I went to mass just like any other Sunday morning. I was hungry and in my head wishing I could have grabbed a granola bar on my way out the door. I know fasting isn't supposed to be fun but today I was particularly not a fan of it. I sat in the pew, knelt down for a few mediocre prayers (the ones I always say before mass), and then sat back down ready to get the show on the road. I realize this sounds incredibly disrespectful. I am not perfect and will never claim to be. This morning is was in a particularly sour mood.

Then... I heard the Second Reading.

How beautiful! We are called to be a people of action! What good am I doing if I am not doing good WORKS for others? How many times do I say I will pray for someone and fall short? How often am I serving the people of God?

So after my initial feelings of failure I decided I am going to take action. I don't have any clue what kind of action I am going to take and I will certainly take suggestions but if it's true that faith is dead without works then I better get my act together!


Just FYI the United States Council of Catholic Bishops site is a great reference if you ever need one!

No comments:

Post a Comment