Saturday, September 15, 2012

American Heroes

Tuesday was the 11th anniversary of the day America was attacked by terrorists. If you were old enough to remember that day at all chances are you were reflecting on where you were when you found out, how you felt, who you lost. I did.

Firefighters raise the American Flag at ground zero.
But I'm not that 7th grade little girl anymore. Now I almost feel a sense of pride. Of course I still tear up when I see the images of the towers falling and hear the stories of how a little girl grew up not knowing her dad. But that event didn't break us. We are still the United States of America.

I will not go into politics because I hate talking about it anyway, but look at where we are. Unfortunately there were also some riots in the middle east at American Embassies. While I still don't believe these riots came out JUST because of a video on youtube it makes you think. I was watching on Fox News and I honestly can't remember who was talking but they were talking about how to the Muslims that were rioting blamed the US government for the video. Looking at things from their angle, I in a weird twisted way see their point... hang on cuz I really do have a point here. All they know is a government that dictates aspects of their lives that we don't experience here. We have free speech. That is something they don't fully understand. They expect out government to jump in and do something about the video. We, on the other hand, and these wonderful liberties that were set in stone many moons ago. We love our freedom, we expect to keep our freedoms. We do not expect the government to jump in and intervene.

Essentially what we have here is a misunderstanding of our freedoms. Do I think it was ok for whoever made this video to make it? Well, I most certainly wouldn't do it but he has free speech. Do I think it was ok for them to riot in the streets and kill innocent Americans? Absolutely not. My heart goes out to all the families and friends of those that lost their lives serving our county this week. My heart also goes out to all the military men and women that fight tirelessly for my freedoms everyday. They are our heroes. Do you have a hero?


Soldiers from the US Army 10th Mountain Division in Afghanistan have a moment of silence in honor of the 9/11 victims on the 5th anniversary of the event. Photo by Flickr user Morgan-Family, via CC.





No comments:

Post a Comment