Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful

It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. My favorite month of the year has passed and we are moving on to the true "holiday season." How time flies.

While October is my favorite month, I have to say that November and December bring something truly special. People are thankful. People are thoughtful. People are thinking of the less fortunate. It is really  a special time of year and I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems to bring out the best in people. Every time I open facebook I see status updates stating what people are thankful for. And ya know what, 9 and a half times out of 10 people are thankful for people, not things. How beautiful is that?! It's refreshing, especially when you think abut the society that we live in.

I have a lot to be thankful for and to be completely honest I fail to thank my God for the blessings in my life. I am so blessed to have a loving and faithful husband that supports me in all I do. He loves me and challenges me everyday to be the best woman I can be. He lifts me up when I fall. He encourages me in my doubt. He is my greatest blessing. I have also been blessed with an amazing family. My mom, dad and siblings are my best freinds. We have history and they know everything about me. My in-laws are the best. They feel more like family than I ever could imagine and they are people I depend on often. I know that many young women don't have that kind of relationship with their in-laws and that makes it that much sweeter.

I don't always feel like the best child of the King. I fail often. But my God has been unwavering in love for me. In my darkest days God has reached an ever loving hand out to me and pulled me close. Almost two years ago now I was in a terrible car accident that resulted in the death of a person I never met. I experienced emotional pain and felt unworthy of the life I was living in the months that followed. But God touched my life and pulled me out of the darkness that lingered around me. I learned that God has bigger plans for me. I learned that my life was worth something and that I as a nurse could change the lives of my patients. As painful as my time after the wreck was, I am thankful for the connection it has given me to my patients. It has given me a new outlook on the little things in life.

My life has changed a lot in the past year or so since my marriage to Patrick. I never in my life thought I would be able to say this but I am so thankful for the life I have with Patrick here in Kansas City. I moved here with the intention of leaving as soon as he graduated but now I can't imagine us being anywhere else. This has really become our home. Home. What a powerful feeling, to feel at home. Our apartment is only temporary but we love looking at homes online and talking about raising a family in the Kansas City area. We have so much to look forward to.

This ended up being a much deeper post than I really planned but once I start on a topic I find it hard to get off. My point is this: We all have trials and tribulations in this life but if we look at the positive things, the blessing, we tend to be much happier. In all the imperfections of my world I feel joyfully at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment