Friday, October 25, 2013

Update on Baby Gorman

I had my second Perinatal appointment today. I have been staying pretty positive up until a few days ago. I just feel like I have to mentally prepare myself for the worst. I know that sounds awful but I'm honestly just trying to find the balance between being optimistic and being realistic.

I don't think I slept much last night. I think I must have slept on and off though because I don't remember turning my alarm off and I woke up in a panic when Patrick woke me up 30 minutes after I was planning on waking up. We hurried around and finally scrambled out the door to our separate cars.

I got to the hospital before him and waited in the lobby, continuing my litany of prayers to my go-to Saints. We were both quiet, obviously with a lot on our minds. As the elevator doors opened on the 6th floor Patrick just said, "I love you." And we walked down the hall to the office.

The Dr got started with the ultrasound and just seconds after the transducer hit my belly he said, "We have a heart beat!" Immediate relief came over me. The cystic hygroma and hydrops are still present with really no improvement but Baby seems to be handling it well so far! We looked at the heart valves and chambers and saw the widely patent pulmonary artery. We looked at the kidneys and stomach and saw the little arms and legs and hands and feet. All of which appeared to be normal. There was no clubbing or cleft lip/palate.

We were both so happy to hear all of that. Of course, the best case scenario would be complete reversal of the cystic hygroma and fluid build up but this is still positive news... and we are good with that!

We went ahead and did an amniocentesis which I would not recommend to the average pregnant lady. It hurt. And I had a hard time keeping my abdominal muscles relaxed. And that needle was in there a long time because they had a hard time penetrating the membrane. Awesome. It was quick once they got it to go through though. Thank goodness.

So now we wait again. I can expect to hear back with amniocentesis results in about 2 weeks and then another Perinatal appointment in 3 weeks. And while I wish Patrick could be at that appointment with me I am SO happy that it will be when my mom is in town!

Keep those prayers coming! My friends these days include Saint Gerard, Saint Jude, Saint Joseph, Ven. Fulton Sheen, Bl. John Paul II, Saint Anne, and Mother Mary... obviously. I appreciate all the love and support of my friends and family. This is such a difficult time and honestly not something I ever dreamed we would be dealing with but I am so thankful there are people around us to keep us positive and prayerful and hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment