Thursday, December 19, 2013

Duck Dynasty Controversy... How dare Phil share his beliefs when asked!!!

I have friends that are gay, one of my closest friends is college is actually, and my lesbian neighbors that just got married in Minnesota are some if the loveliest people I have ever met. They have the biggest hearts and I honestly feel lucky to know them. 

But why do some people (no matter which way they swing) make such a big deal about being gay. I don't make a big deal about being straight and married to a man. I'm just a person.

I'm sure this is shocking but the duck dynasty wilderness man, Phil Robertson, sparked my interest in writing about this. In case you are living under a rock and haven't heard the news read his interview with GQ here.


So here's the thing... I like Phil. I like the whole Robertson clan. Are they really tactful, polished people? Eh, I personally don't think so. And that's ok. He is not a philosopher. He's not the pope. And he is not infallible. But I don't think what he said is so far off base. 

This is what I think is wrong with the world. We are always putting people in a box. What's up with that?! We are more than gay or straight or bisexual or whatever! 

I have some unpopular opinions, too. I believe it is a sin to have sex before marriage. Shocking, right?! I know... It is so "old fashioned."  Call me old school but I think it is equally wrong whether you are gay or straight. I don't believe you go straight to hell for it either though. I actually believe that God is God and I am not. So I'm gonna let him make that call. 

Oh and here is a crazy thought. Maybe everyone is a sinner. Maybe my habitual cursing like a sailor (that I always say I'm gonna work on and never do) and drinking wine several nights a week (which is has been pretty frequent recently... Happy holidays!) is no better in the eyes of God than having sex before marriage. I don't know. Again, I'm not God. I'm not gonna judge... That's too big of a job.

I just have my beliefs. And over and above my beliefs in what is right and what is wrong I believe that all life, all people are created by God. And that God called us to love. So while we all have sins and crosses to carry and mistakes we have made we are all called to love despite all if it. We don't have to understand each other. We don't have to agree with each other. But we should love each other.

So while I think Phil was pretty coarse in the language, I have to stand with him because I believe that under all that roughness and toughness, he loves all people. He is a family man that wants to lead people closer to Christ and that is not something you see in public figures very often. I commend you, Phil Robertson!

No comments:

Post a Comment